Sunday, December 14, 2008

Expected Good vs. Given Good

I've had to do a bit of readjusting since having Dallas. It's something I have struggled with and am working on everyday. It's the expected good vs. given good. How I want things to turn out vs. how they actually turn out. If I could learn this lesson just once, my life would be a lot better.

Expected Good--I expect to get all ready for the day and create a huge "to do" list and have a bunch of errands to run AND have a nice hot dinner on the table when Toby gets home ALL THE WHILE, Dallas will be happy playing by himself and take good naps.

The Given Good-- I take a shower, mark one of two things off my list(one load of laundry), maybe get one errand in and have an idea for dinner and Dallas not happy playing by himself nor taking good naps.

You see my problem? I am slowly learning to change my expected good and then I'm not so disappointed with the given good. But, I am a slow learner.........

3 comments:

lynsey said...

i am totally with you. i have had to reprioritize my life & have tried to accept myself just for where i'm at. you know what i did? made every day of the week a different "chore" day. so monday is kitchen day, tuesday is bathrooms day, wednesday bedroom, and so on. i deep clean one thing a week so that when it's all said & done i feel like i've accomplished something.

of course it never turns out perfectly & sometimes i can't finish. but the point is that you are trying and that helps me keep going.

i still can't figure out how people do it with more than one kid! guess i'll find out soon enough...yikes.

ps-i know the holidays are busy so i don't mind waiting for my surprise in the mail until after they are done. it will be like a second christmas!

Debbie said...

Hang in there. You are doing a great job of taking care of your boys. It is all good - expected or given huh?
Come what may and love it...

Katie The Lady said...

Hahahaha! Doesn't reality just suck?! I'm with you all the way there, sista!