Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What's worse than labor? BACK LABOR!

Alright, I have a few minutes to blog. I never knew how much time and energy would be put into something so small! I haven't taken a nap today (I usually try to everyday) and I am feeling it. He makes me soooo tired!!!

I wanted to post about my insane labor so this might be a little long. Mostly this is for me to remember since I journal very little (bad, I know-but this blog is like a journal for me).

I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday May 22 and that's when we found out that Dallas was posterior. For those of you who don't know what that is, it means his back was against mine instead of being against my stomach. This makes labor go much slower and much more painful. Every time you have a contraction, his head hits your spine instead of moving down the birth canal. VERY PAINFUL! My doctor tried to have me scheduled for an induction the next day (Friday) but I was number 15 to be induced!!! Plus, the maternity unit was FULL. They were delivering the babies in the Triage Rooms (where you go to be checked in before you give birth. They check you with monitors to make sure you really are in labor and such).

So, no go on the early induction. She told me to weight it out bc she was sure he'd come on his own and if not, then Tuesday was it. Can't do over the weekend or on Monday bc it was a stupid holiday and they don't do inductions on holidays or weekends.

Mom flew in on Friday, she couldn't wait any longer.....feared that I might go into labor without her and she miss it! We went out to dinner both Friday and Saturday night and took long walks and went shopping. It was quite the peaceful weekend. On Sunday we walked to Camels Back Park and I hiked the mountain. Here's a photo-it does not do it justice. It's not too big, but when you're 41+ weeks pregnant........it's a BIG hill. I was hoping this would put me into labor! You can hike straight up or do a wrap around. We choose to do the wrap around.

Nothing....nada. Not even strong contractions! I went to bed pretty dang sad.

Monday morning (Memorial Day) I woke up at 5 with strong contractions. I stayed in bed till 5:30 and then woke Toby up. We got up and showered and got ready for the day. These were hurting quite bad and were mostly in my back. At first, I could handle it no problem, but then they started getting worse and closer together. About 7-10 minutes apart at 6am. We woke Mom up and were ready for the hospital at 9. I decided to try and do most of the labor at home so we called family, played games and went for a walk.

That afternoon is when it got pretty bad. I'm a strong person, but these contractions were making me stop dead in my tracks, can't move, let alone barely breathe. It was horrible. I called the hospital and explained my situation with Dallas posterior and she said that this was normal and come in later on that night if it gets too bad. I was getting frustrated bc they hurt and I wanted her to just tell me to come in! We suffered through the afternoon and I walked our apartment stairs a million times to see if it would help turn him. I was trying everything to get him to flip around.

As night came, we're already into this over 12 hours.......pretty crappy. I decide at 8 that I can't take it anymore and we head to the hospital. I was dilated to a 1 and 90% effaced at my last appointment. When we get to Triage, she sets me up on monitors and says that my contractions aren't regular (they were-as they had been all day) because they were going to between 5-7 minutes apart instead of a constant 5. Then she checked me and told me that I was still only dilated to a 1 and that she couldn't even find my cervix to see if I had effaced any more! WHAT??? What do you mean you can't find it? She then told me to go home and that my pain had been for nothing and that they could admit me but I would just be in a room until morning. Why would I stay at the hospital and suffer if I can go to my own home and suffer? I was bawling by then. All this pain for nothing??? Are you KIDDING ME? I told her that I had a note from my doctor that said if I came to the hospital in labor to call her. It was written and signed by her and the stupid Triage nurse WOULD NOT CALL HER! She said that the doctor didn't want to be bothered on a holiday night and that most doctors won't even answer the phone. She wouldn't even give me the time of day to call my doctor.

So, home I went to suffer the worst night of my life. It was pure hell. Mom, Toby and I were in tears all night and the contractions were coming 3-5 minutes apart. I have NEVER HAD SUCH PAIN in my life and wouldn't wish it on my WORST ENEMY! I can't even describe the pain. It's something that I have never felt nor wish to EVER feel EVER again! The closest thing I can think of is someone taking a knife and cutting your back in all directions. I couldn't move, lay in any position, stand-nothing made it feel better. I received a blessing but the pain still stayed. Finally at 5am I took a shower and we left for hospital.

When my doctor checked me I was dilated to a 6 and 100% effaced. There was NO WAY that I went from a 1-6 during the night and even my doctor told me that I should've been in the hospital last night to have the baby. She wasn't too happy that the nurse didn't admit me. I was able to get an epidural and the pain finally subsided.

Well, I'd love to end it there, but at 2:40 (I'd been there since 7am) I started to push and continued to push for 3 1/2 hours.......his head would not budge. We were beginning to discuss other options (c-section) and I was NOT about to have that. There is no way I am pushing for 3 1/2 hours and then have to have a c-section and recover from both. He was born and taken to NICU. Not the kind of labor I thought I would've had. Oh well, luckily Dallas is home and healthy and that I am slowly recovering as well. We won't even talk about how bad I ripped, despite an episiotomy.....or the fact that the stupid nurse who wouldn't admit me came to VISIT me after I gave birth. I wanted to hit her or say some choice words. It was a tough two day labor. The hardest thing I have ever done.

To put the cherry on top-we spent the next week and few days of Dallas' life in the hospital with me going back and forth to see him and feed him. Some nights I was able to stay over (they have a little room like a hotel for moms who are strictly breastfeeding) but others I had to go home. I added up all the hours of sleep and in 8 days I had gotten roughly 12. I was one tired girl!

And there you have it-my crazy insane labor. Good thing I had dear sweet Toby and wonderful Mom to be there to support me. There is no way I could've done it without them!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are amazing girl! I know I've said this before but he is such a beautiful baby and I'm sure it was worth it. And if it doesn't seem like it was worth it yet maybe when he starts sleeping through night it will have been worth it. Anyway, I think you are amazing and if seeing you in the hosptial didn't scare me out of wanting to have children I think this post has.

Debbie said...

You are the bravest girl I know. I am with you with wanting to kill that labor nurse! Let's wish BACK LABOR on her.....It is only fair.

You worked harder than anyone I've have ever seen getting that beautiful baby here. I think Toby has a new appreciation for his tough and beautiful wife. Welcome Dallas! Your mommy can handle anything!!!

Kris said...

Oh Tammy, give me a call some time and we will trade stories, ours sound very similar, not that back pain so much but the nurses etc. Do you remember coming to see me in the hospital after E? I looked awful and it was a rough one on me. I am with you on the nasty tear on top of the epesiotomy, not fun I know! Just to give you hope for your next one (I know you're probably thinking "never again", but there will come a time where you will want another baby :) with my second, after such an awful experience with the first, it was so much easier and I was even induced with J! It was faster and I didn't have to push as long, I recovered A TON faster. So it will be SO much easier for your second I promise! J was in the NICU for just over two weeks and that was the hardest part about my second, but we knew he would be in the NICU since I went into labor 6 weeks early. Any way I feel for you on the whole NICU experience too, you really should give me a call :)

I'm glad he's home and healthy! I'm so glad you had your angle mother there to help, how wonderful! I'm sure your hubby loves you more after seeing the sacrifice you made to bring his son into this world. I'm happy it all worked out okay! You're amazing!

Jen said...

You're amazing! I know what you mean on that pushing for 3 1/2 hours. I pushed for that long too. They talked about going c-section but I'm with you I didn't just push for 3 1/2 hours for nothing, that baby was coming out hell or high water I wasn't going to do a c-section. Recovering from vaginal delivery was more than enough let alone both. All the pain and agony is definatly worth it. You'll eventually forget the pain and you'll want another. You're awesome!

Heather Montgomery said...

You deserve the mother of the year award. I am so sorry you had to go through that.

Justin and Tiffany Walker said...

Ouch! That's all I can say! I thought I had it bad with a 19 hour labor, nursing problems, tearing, and all that fun throwing up stuff during contractions, but I guess things could always have been worse! I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of the painful stuff. They couldn't send me away because my water had broken (which they insisted hadn't until they finally did a test...they thought I wet myself...I mean seriously, I think I would know that) which made it a long but bearable process when the DRUGS came! Yeah DRUGS! He is so beautiful. You're a champ for making it through; it sounds so hellish. They say a woman starts to "forget" how labor felt when enough time passes. Who are they kidding?

Anonymous said...

Oh Tammy, I'm so sorry! What a miserable few days! What a terrible nurse, I hope you guys left a note at their comment box or something. I can't understand how some people want to work in the Doctor/Nursing field, who seem to not like working and helping people. I think they just want to have authority over others. So sorry!
But I'm so happy that he's here and doing great. Glad he's home now and hopefully you'll catch up on the rest you need! Poor girl! Wish I lived closer to watch him while you take a nap!
He'll grow so fast you won't believe it and you'll be wishing he was still keeping you up at night! :)
Love you- you're amazing! That's for sure!
Trinna

likeschocolate said...

Congrautulations! He is beautiful! Sounds exactly like my first birth with my son who was sideways. However, we only spent 4 days at the hospital. I ended up with a grade 4 tear which is the worst. Sounds like you. Well, it only gets better from her on. By the way, my second birth I only pushed 2 times and he slipped right out. I hope this will be the same for you. Good luck!

Katie said...

Tammy- youre such a tough girl. I'm sure you've already figured out that Dallas will be worth every second. PS- HF gives the "gift?" of forgetfulness...somehow...you'll want to do it all over again. I'm sure he smiles down on us when we do. :) Lol.

Lindsey Walker said...

Tammy, you are one amazing women! Ok, so I am officially terrified to have kids even more now! Seesh what a horrible experience for you...but also so amazing 'cause you gave birth to the cuttest little guy ever. And I can't believe that nurse, it seems like so many labor and delivery nurses are like that, I have heard so many stories. It's almost like they get so used to the whole labor thing they think every one is exaggerating everything. How do you like having a baby now? Is it so fun/ hard? You gotta post about your new life and how your days are spent with your little baby now!

Aileen and Aaron Trost said...

Congratulations on your new baby! Sorry to hear labor was so horrible. I also pushed for 3+ hours on my first baby, but I only pushed for 3-5 minutes on the second, so there's hope :-). Your little boy is so cute!

Unknown said...

Dang! That was quite the adventure! They need to get some better nurses out there! I guess I will forgive you for not coming to the wedding :) JK! Hope things get better. Come visit Rexburg in the fall so we can hang and meet the new member of your fam!

Courtney said...

YIKES. That's all I have to say. You are tough-- and one hard labor qualifies you to practically have all the rest "walk out"! Haha! Thank heavens for the epidurral, finally! Katie H said it best-- somehow you WILL forget this enough to want it again. And when that happens, you'll wonder, "What in the ___ was I thinking????????"

Hope you are recovering!

The Jatens said...

Happy Father's Day Toby!!!!

The Grimmett's said...

Sounds rough! Even after 10 months I haven't forgotten mine! I don't know how mom's have more than one kid. Good luck with the recovery! It takes a while!